The Basic Keel Boat program is designed in collaboration with US Sailing to offer a comprehensive introductory level program to participants which provides them with the skills, confidence, knowledge, and overall competencies to successfully and safely sail Keel Boats. The goals of this class are to have fun on the water and to learn and/or build upon the basics of sailing. Students in this class will sail with a small group of our J/22 class boats under the direction of our US Sailing Basic Keelboat Certified Instructor with a safety boat alongside.. Typical Student to Instructor ratio is 4:1 See below for the skills you will learn!
This course is designed to give you the knowledge, practical skills and confidence to safely captain a 19’ to 26’ sailboat with auxiliary power during daylight hours in moderate up to heavy-air conditions. Each student receives a text book full of detailed diagrams and information on every part of the course.
Topics covered include:
- Boat, Rigging and Equipment
- Understanding the Wind and Weather
- Points of Sail
- Tacking, Jibing, Heaving-to and Reefing
- Sail Trim, Shape and Control
- Crew Overboard Procedure and Drills
- Rules of the Road
- Basic Navigation
- Outboard Motor Operation
- Line Handling and Essential Knots
This is a 21 hour course taught over three days. Each day includes 2 hours in the classroom and 5 hours on the water, taught by a US SAILING certified instructor. There is a practical and written test given at the end of the course.
Included in your $600 registration fee is:
- The 3 day Adult Sailing Class
- US Sailing Keelboat Certification on completion
- One Year membership to US Sailing
- A log book to keep track of your sailing experience
More information can be found at https://www.ussailing.org/education/adult/certification-courses-endorsements/basic-keelboat/